I don't particularly like banana bread, but we had some overripe bananas, so what the heck. I was told it turned out pretty well.
2 large eggs
1 c sugar
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 c mashed banana (2 or 3 very ripe, large bananas)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 2/3 c all-purpose flour
1 c yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream
1 c chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan. (I have recently discovered Bakers Joy; awesome stuff.)
- In a medium bowl beat together the eggs, sugar, and oil. Blend in the mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Thoroughly whisk together the baking soda through flour. (They recommend sifting it all together as well. I think that's overkill.)
- Add the dry ingredients all at once to the banana mixture, and mix quickly but thoroughly.
- Stir in the yogurt/buttermilk/sour cream, mixing until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan; bake for 1 hour, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Tent with foil after 40 minutes if it's browning too quickly.
King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2004 Rebecca J. Stevenson