steamed rice for serving
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1 medium head cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 c vegetable broth
1/2 c canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 c thawed frozen peas
1/4 tsp salt
- In a dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the carrots and onion. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are golden, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the curry and cumin and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower, vegetable broth, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the peas and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Spoon the rice into individual soup bowls and top with the curry. Serve immediately.
Rick Rodgers, On Rice. (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1997), 108.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2000 Rebecca J. Stevenson