If anyone figures out how to make this with regular flour, could you let me know?
3 c self-rising flour
2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp cumin seeds (whole)
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
1 c buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten to blend with 1 Tbsp water
9 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 3 cups)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place flour, sugar, and cumin seeds in a large bowl.
- Add butter and beat until coarse crumbs form.
- jBeat in buttermilk, and all but one tablespoon of the egg mixture.
- Add 2/3 of the cheddar cheese and beat until just incorporated.
- Turn out onto a floured surface. Using floured hands, divide dough into 2 pieces and pat each into a 7-inch round. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, then cut each round into 6 wedges.
- Transfer to a large baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. (Can be covered and refrigerated for 1 day at this stage.)
- Bake scones until golden brown on top, about 25 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, and serve warm.
Bon Appetit, June 2002, p. 50.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2002 Rebecca J. Stevenson