Serve this over rice, noodles, toast if you want to get fancy. If you're looking for something lighter you could probably take out the cream and still have something tasty.
2 Tbsp butter
1 pound chicken breast tenders
1/2 to 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 leek (white and tender green), washed and chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/4 c dry sherry
3/4 c chicken broth
2 tsp cornstarch
3/4 c heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
- In a 12-inch skillet, melt butter over high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until brown on both sides, 5-7 minutes. Remove to a dish.
- Add asparagus to drippings in skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Remove to dish with chicken.
- Add oil to pan and heat over high heat. Add leeks, green and red peppers, and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until peppers are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in sherry and chicken broth. Boil, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes to reduce liquid slightly.
- Mix cornstarch and cream until smooth. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium and cook, stirring, until sauce thickens, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Return chicken and asparagus to skillet and heat through, about 1 minute.
Natalie Haughton, 365 Easy One-Dish Meals. (New York: Harper & Row, 1990), 71.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 1999 Rebecca J. Stevenson