2 Tbsp olive oil
12 chicken thighs, well trimmed
2 c chopped onion
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 c dry white wine
1/4 c plus 2 Tbsp chopped fresh marjoram
2 large boiling potatoes, peeled, each cut into 12 pieces
3 large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
2 large parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
2 medium rutabagas, peeled, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 medium turnips, peeled, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
5 c chicken broth
3/4 c whipping cream
2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch.
- Transfer browned chicken to a large bowl and pour off all but 2 Tbsp of drippings from the pot.
- Add onions to pot and sauté over medium heat until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add wine and 1/4 cup marjoram and simmer until wine evaporates, about 4 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot.
- Arrange vegetables over chicken.
- Pour chicken broth over chicken and vegatables.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer chicken and vegetables to a large clean bowl.
- Boil liquid in pot until reduced to 3 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Mix cream and cornstarch in a medium bowl, then stir into the pot.
- Simmer until thickened to a sauce consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken and vegetables to pot. Bring to a simmer, stirring gently.
- Add remaining 2 Tbsp marjoram and serve.
Bon Appetit, October 2001
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2001 Rebecca J. Stevenson