4 Cornish game hens, about 1 1/4 pounds apiece, giblets removed
1 lemon, cut into four wedges
4 large fresh rosemary sprigs
3 Tbsp olive oil
24 garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 c dry white wine
1/3 c chicken broth
additional rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Pat hens dry with paper towels. Season cavities with salt and pepper, then place one lemon wedge and one sprig of rosemary in the cavity of each hen.
- Rub hens with 1 Tbsp oil. Season outsides with salt and pepper.
- Arrange hens in a heavy large roasting pan and sprinkle garlic around them.
- Roast hens 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F. Pour wine, broth and remaining 2 Tbsp oil over hens.
- Continue roasting until hens are golden brown and juices run clear at the thigh, basting every ten minutes. This will take about 25 minutes.
- Transfer hens to platter, pouring any juices from cavities into the roasting pan. Tent the hens with foil to keep warm, and transfer juices and garlic to a heavy medium saucepan. Boil until reduced to desired conistency, about 6 minutes.
- Cut hens in half lengthwise. Arrange on plates. Spoon sauce and garlic around hens. Garnish with rosemary and serve.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2002 Rebecca J. Stevenson