2 Tbsp olive oil
3 shallots, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup whipping cream
2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp dried sage
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
3/4 pound fettuccine
1/2 c grated Parmesan
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic, and sauté until slightly soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add sausage and sauté until no longer pink, breaking up the sausages as they brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add cream; simmer 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices, sage and crushed red pepper. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until still firm to the bite and drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Return pasta to its pot; add sauce. Toss over medium heat until sauce coats pasta, adding reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if dry.
- Transfer to bowls, top with cheese, and serve.
Bon Appetit, December 2000, p 228.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2002 Rebecca J. Stevenson