I first made these in December, 2003. It had been a long time since I made a new kind of cookie. They disappeared quickly! Note that the dough needs to chill for an hour.
2 c all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 c chopped crystallized ginger
1 c (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 c vegetable shortening
1/4 c unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1/4 mild (light) molasses
- Combine first six ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to blend. Mix in crystallized ginger.
- Using an electric mixer, beat brown sugar, shortening, and butter in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses, and beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Cover and refrigerate one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spoon sugar into thick layer on small plate or bowl.
- Using wet hands, form dough into 1 1/4-inch balls; roll in sugar to coat completely. Place balls on cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies until cracked on top but still soft to touch, about 12 minutes. Cool on sheets 1 minute, then transfer to racks and cool.
Bon Appetit, March 2000, p 140.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2003 Rebecca J. Stevenson