You can make the dressing the night before. The onions have to soak for a while, so start that well before you plan to serve the salad.
1 1/2 c vegetable oil
1/3 c apple cider
3 Tbsp frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
2 Tbsp minced red onion
1 3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 c thinly sliced red onion
2 Gala apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
5 hearts of romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise
3/4 toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Placed sliced onion in a medium bowl. Cover with cold water and let stand 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Place 1/3 c dressing in a medium bowl. Add apples; toss to coat.
- Trim off tops of romaine halves, leaving 5-inch lengths. Cut each romane half lengthwise into 3 wedges.
- Fan wedges on large platter (or individual plates). Top with onion slices. Drizzle salad with dressing, then sprinkle with apples and pecans.
Bon Appetit, November 2001, p 184.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2001 Rebecca J. Stevenson