1 c dry white wine
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 c water
1 pound salmon steaks, cut into four pieces
1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
2 ounces trimmed snow peas
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
5 scallions, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch lengths
- In a large non-reactive skillet, combine wine, ginger, salt, water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Place fish in poaching liquid, adding additional water if necessary to cover.
- Return to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until fish is opaque, 6-8 minutes.
- Remove fish from the broth with a slotted spoon or spatula and peel off skin.
- Add carrot and boil uncovered 2 minutes.
- Add snow peas and boil until carrots are crisp-tender and snow peas are bright green, about 1 minute longer.
- Stir in sesame oil, soy sauce, and scallions.
- To serve, spoon vegetables and some poaching liquid over fish.
Beverly Cox. 365 Great 20-Minute Recipes. (HarperCollins. New York: 1995), 126.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2000 Rebecca J. Stevenson