1 can each: garbanzo beans, white kidney beans, red kidney beans, baby lima beans, and black-eyed peas
1 pound fresh green beans, or half green and half yellow wax beans
1 c chopped scallions
1/2 c chopped Italian parsley
For Garlic Dressing:
1 egg yolk
1/3 c red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup best quality olive oill
To make the Garlic Dressing:
- Combine egg yolk, vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process briefly.
- With the motor running, slowly dribble in the olive oil.
- Taste and correct seasonings if necessary.
To make the bean salad:
Drain and rinse canned beans, then drain thoroughly.
- Trim fresh beans and cook until just tender in a pot of boiling salted water. Drain, pat dry, and cut into 2-inch lengths.
- Toss all beans together in a large bowl. Pour in the dressing, sprinkle on the scallions, and toss again.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve at room temperature.
Says 10-12 portions, but when I made it, it was more like 20.
Julie Rosso and Sheila Lukins. The Silver Palate Cookbook. (New York: Workman, 1982) 220.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2000 Rebecca J. Stevenson