1 14-oz. package firm tofu, drained and cut into 6 slices, about 3/4 inch thick
1/4 cup chickpea or all-purpose flour
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 cups thinly sliced onion, separated into rings
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup diced plum tomatoes (you can used canned)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup water
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
Rice for serving with
- Place the tofu slices on several layers of paper towel, and cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
- Cut each tofu slice diagonally into 2 triangles. Dredge in flour.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sauté until light gold, about 3 minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add onion to pan and stir-fry 4 minutes.
- Add curry, salt, cumin, turmeric, and pepper, and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add tomato, cilantro, and sugar, and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add water and vinegar. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook 2 minutes.
- Spoon onion sauce over tofu, and serve with rice.
Serves 4 in theory.
Somewhere in the misty pages of Cooking Light magazine.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2001 Rebecca J. Stevenson