For the record: I am dubious about their instructions regarding the broccoli. I added them in for the last few minutes of cooking, because I prefer the stuff cooked to a greater extent.
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 c chopped onion
1 c chopped red bell pepper
1 c chopped peeled carrots
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 c green beans cut to 1/2-inch
1 c chopped fennel bulb
2 Tbsp chopped fennel fronds
1 c chopped peeled parsnips
1 c vegetable broth
4 c small broccoli florets
2 c ditalini, macaroni, or other smallish pasta
Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 c of the pasta cooking water when you drain it.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and carrot; sauté until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic; stir one minute.
- Add beans, fennel bulb, parsnips, and broth.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add broccoli; cover and let stand 2 minutes.
- Return the cooked pasta to the pot. Mix in vegetables, fennel fronds, cheese if using, and enough of the reserved pasta water to moisten.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bon Appetit, Feb. 2002, p119. I love this magazine.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2001 Rebecca J. Stevenson